Aircraft History

Avro Anson

Avro AnsonThe Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) Ansons were delivered from among the 4413 Ansons flown by the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) during WW II. The RCAF flew the Anson in many roles including coastal patrol, however, it was renowned as a training aircraft in the WW II British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP). The Anson V, received by the RCN from RCAF post-war surpluses, featured a moulded plywood fuselage and in addition to meeting the RCN's training needs proved also to be a good utility aircraft. In 1948, Fleet Requirements Unit 743 (FRU 743) at Dartmouth used Anson V's to train RCN Observers (navigation, communications) for the second seat in the Fairey Firefly fighter-reconnaissance aircraft. The Anson was retired from the RCN in April 1952.

Type: Pilot, navigation and communications training and utility aircraft

Wing Span:
17.20 m (56 ft 5 in)

Length:
12.88 m (42 ft 3 in)

Height:
3.99 m (13 ft 1 in)

Max. Speed:
303 kph (188 mph)

Service Ceiling:
5790 m (19,000 ft)

Range:
1271 km (790 mi)

Max. Weight:
3629 kg (8000 lb)

Empty Weight:
2438 kg (5375 lb)

Power Plant:
Two 336 kW (450 hp) Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN-12B radial piston engines