Lockheed CT-133 Silver Star (T-bird) 1955
The CT-133's on display at the Shearwater Aviation Museum are two of the 656 CT-133's built for the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) by Canadair in Montreal in 1953. In 1954 the RCAF gave the Royal Canadian Navy the first of 16 CT-133's to assist the Navy in preparing for the arrival of the Banshee jet fighter. The Museum's two CT-133's are painted in different paint schemes representing the first and last eras of the CT-133 at Shearwater. The first CT-133, serial number 133038, is finished in a natural aluminum silver with tip tanks, nose and tail painted red for high visibility. This aircraft with Royal Canadian Navy markings is typical of the paint scheme of the CT-133 when it was flown by the Navy at Shearwater in the 1950's and 1960's. The Navy used the CT-133 for pilot proficiency training and towing targets.
The second CT-133, serial number 133618, is finished in low-visibility camouflage gray typical of the paint scheme when the “T- Bird”, as it was affectionately known, was last flown from Shearwater by Air Command's 434 Squadron in 1994. Throughout its 40-year tenure at Shearwater the “T-Bird” provided target services for the Navy. The last CT-133 was retired from the Canadian Forces in the spring of 2002.